Sunday 15 December 2013

Skype updated on Android, includes handy picture-in-picture option

Skype Update
When I updated my Skype app this morning on my Nexus 7 I didn’t think to look at the “What’s New” section of the app’s Google Play page. “Must be another regular bug-fix update,” I thought…
Very wrong, I was.
In one of the most useful updates that Skype has probably ever had for its Android app, the popular video-chatting program now offers picture-in-picture video-chatting so you can now multitask on your device while you communicate.
That’s right— you can now browse the web, check email, watch YouTube videos, etc. all while you video-chat on Skype. You can also drag the thumbnail PIP around the screen to place it wherever it’s convenient for you.
And that’s not all! The update also included pinch-to-zoom navigation for when you’re browsing contacts, and also upgraded video and instant messaging. All those regular bug fixes I had initially suspected are even included as well.
Overall, the update is very Windows 8-like, and I certainly can’t complain. As computing power on our mobile devices gets increasingly better and better, we’ll start to see updates like this from other applications as well. Multitasking will soon become as mundane as it now is on our PCs.

No comments:

Post a Comment